Our Wartime Christmas Festival is back; bigger, better and with lots more to see and do.
Take a step back in time and discover how Christmas was celebrated during the two world wars and beyond; from the Christmas truce of 1914 to the frontline today.
Celebrate Christmas on the Home Front, make wartime Christmas decorations, enjoy a variety of activities, traditional carols and music, meet Father Christmas and sample wartime Christmas foods as the Brass Band plays and the choir sings...
Then enjoy our indoor Christmas Market; with over 70 traders offering local crafts and produce with Christmas treats and gift ideas for all.
The Home Front - Make Do and Mend!
• Visit the Home Front Experience in our Tank Story Hall.
• Talk to May, the Home Front Housewife, about `Making Do and Mending` - darn a sock and find out how simple children's Christmas presents were made.
• Have a vintage 1940's make-over with our Home Front Hairdresser.
• Listen to our own “Dads Army” relive life as a member of The Homeguard and as an ARP warden.
• Visit the Village Hall and meet the Blitz Buddies – and join them for a dance or two!
• There is also a chance to see the fashion of the 40’s on The Tank Museum Catwalk.
• On Sunday we will be joined by the Historic Knit for a demo on how to cook with the rations of the day and there is a chance to visit the Wessex Historic Household Toy Shop.
Christmas Activity Fun
• On Saturday morning at 10.30 see Father Christmas arrive by tank! Then visit him in his Home Front grotto for a treat (only for good boys and girls! - small charge applies).
• Bournemouth Concert Brass will be serenading visitors as they arrive with a mix of carols and Christmas songs.
• Join the Weymouth Choral society on Saturday afternoon for Carols around the Museum.
• See if you have what it takes to complete our fun-filled Wartime Christmas trail, with the chance to win a Tank Museum Goodie Bag!
• Make your own Wartime Christmas decorations and take them home with you.
• Children can build and paint their own tank and take it home with them at the end of the day (small charge applies)
• Headturners Face Painting will joining us for the weekend – for a glittery tattoo or a fairy face visit them in our Children’s Activity Area.
Christmas At the Front
• Christmas in the Trenches. Find out how soldiers of both sides in World War One would have celebrated Christmas.
• Christmas in the heat of the desert and in the cold of the Russian Front.
Christmas Shopping!There will be even more traders at our indoor Christmas market. Find yourself some Christmas bargains...with over 70 traders selling a variety of local gifts, festive food, drink and lots more.
PLEASE NOTE: Some vehicles may be obstructed during this event.
Trader?If you are interested in having a stand at the Christmas market contact:
The Events Team T: 01929 405096 ext 238 / 211 or E: firstname.lastname@example.orgDownload our Trader information pack & application form here.
Never Miss Out:
To find out more about other special events at The Tank Museum, you can join our mailing list. We will send you updates by e-mail and you will receive our quarterly Newsletter Tank Times – all for free. Click here to sign up!
Find us on Facebook and `like` The Tank Museum