Dame Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath - Military Division
The Most Honourable Order of the Bath
This Order was revived from an earlier form by King George 1 in May 1725 and was originally a single class award. It was reorganised in 1815 following the Napoleonic Wars by the Prince Regent, later King George IV to reward the distinguished services of many officers. There are now Military and Civil divisions, each with three classes:
C.C.B. Knight Grand Cross.
K.C.B. Knight Commander.
Since 1970, Ladies have been admitted to the Order.
The insignia which the Tank Museum has on display are Military Division:
GCB Collar Badge - Military : a gold Maltese cross of eight points, enamelled in white, each point tipped with a small gold ball, and in ach angle between the arm of the cross a gold lion. In the centre of the cross is a devise consisting of the rose, thistle and shamrock issuing from a sceptre, and three Imperial Crowns. This devise is surrounded by a red enamel circle, on which is the motto 'TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO', in gold letters. The circle is again surrounded by two branches of laurel, enamelled green, and below is a blue enamel cross with the words 'ICH DIEN' in gold.
Civil : gold filigree work, and oval in shape. It consists of a bandlet bearing themotto, and in the centre is the usual device of the rose, thistle and shamrock issuing from a sceptre, together with the three crowns.
Suspended round the neck from a crimson ribbon.
GCB Breast Star : A gold Maltese cross mounted on a silver flaming star of chipped silver. Inside is a green circular laurel wreath enclosing the motto in gold on a red enamel ribbon and a central device of three crowns on a silver ground.