Companion of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath - Civilian Division
The Most Honourable Order of the Bath
This Order was revived from an earlier form by King George 1 in May 1725 and was originally a single class award. It was reorganised in 1815 following the Napoleonic Wars by the Prince Regent, later King George IV to reward the distinguished services of many officers. There are now Military and Civil divisions, each with three classes:
C.C.B. Knight Grand Cross.
K.C.B. Knight Commander.
Since 1970, Ladies have been admitted to the Order.
The insignia which the Tank Museum has on display are:
Neck Badge : a gold Maltese cross of eight points, enamelled in white, each point tipped with a small gold ball, and in ach angle between the arm of the cross a gold lion. In the centre of the cross is a devise consisting of the rose, thistle and shamrock issuing from a sceptre, and three Imperial Crowns. This devise is surrounded by a red enamel circle, on which is the motto 'TRIA JUNCTA IN UNO', in gold letters. The circle is again surrounded by two branches of laurel, enamelled green, and below is a blue enamel cross with the words 'ICH DIEN' in gold.
Suspended round the neck from a crimson ribbon.
Breast Star : Chipped silver in the shape of a cross pattee (flared ends) with three crowns in the centre surrounded by the motto on a red ground, all enclosed by a green enamelled laurel wreath. Below is a blue enamel scroll with the words 'ICH DIEN' in gold.