Distinguished Service Order
The Distinguished Service Order
Introduced in 1886 as an award for distinguished service to junior officers. It could be awarded for specific acts of gallantry or for a period of distinguished service and is always issued unnamed. From 1938 the year of award was engraved on the reverse of the suspension bar. During the First World War it came to be granted for gallantry in action. Since the introduction of the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross in 1993 it is no longer awarded for gallantry but has been reclassified as a Leadership award, theoretically to all ranks.. Bars are issued for subsequent awards up to a maximum of three.
The Order is in the form of a cross of silver-gilt (since 1889) with curved ends, overlaid with white enamel. The obverse centre is a green enamel laurel wreath enclosing an imperial crown. The reverse has a royal monogram within a similar wreath.
The ribbon has a wide central red stripe with narrow blue borders.