Army Long Service & Good Conduct (King George V)
Army Long Service and Good Conduct Medal
Originally instituted in 1830 by King William IV and granted to soldiers of "irreproachable character", the medal is issued for eighteen years service. Bars for further periods of service were introduced in 1940. The medal is normally inscribed with the name of the recipient.
The medal has changed in appearance over the years. Since 1901 the obverse shows an effigy of the reining monarch, the reverse has the words 'FOR LONG SERVICE AND GOOD CONDUCT'.
It was worn from a crimson ribbon but in 1917 to avoid confusion with the Victoria Cross the ribbon was amended to have narrow white edges.