Voluntary Medical Service Medal

Instituted in 1932 for members of British Red Cross Society and the St. Andrew's Ambulance Corps (Scotland). It is awarded for 15 years service, with a bar for each additional period of five years. The service bars show a Geneva cross of saltire, depending on which is appropriate.

Originally in silver, the obverse shows the veiled bust of a female holding an oil lamp, symbolic of Florence Nightingale. The reverse has the crosses of Geneva and St. Andrew, with the inscription FOR LONG AND EFFICIENT SERVICE around the edge. Since 1969 the medalhas been produced in cupro-nickel.

The ribbon is red with yellow and white stripes

Recipients